Thursday 27 January 2011

A walk in the park

Australia celebrated today 'Australia day', or how some call it 'Invasion Day'. It's a big family event, with activities and parades sprinkled around Melbourne's center, parades, music, stalls and all. AUSTAT provides the funding for an Alexander Technique stall, so I volunteered with some others to give the public a taste of our work.

For first time this year, I used my hands again, and with complete strangers! Well, with less panic it was rather an opportunity to have heaps of 'first lessons' in a row, meeting the challenge to get the permission to touch someone I just met.

I didn't have much time to foster any negative self-talk, only little time past without anyone coming to our stall. So instead, I gave the most simple explanation of the importance of coordinating movement with a 'free neck' I could come up with, trying to tap into the interests and circumstances the potential students were in. When I got the impression that the 'sales talk' worked, I offered hands-on experience to demonstrate what ever tiny idea I started with.

Of course, there's often the hidden doubt whether the hands will work, as some people can be really hard to move. Although sometimes I noticed changes under my fingers, it doesn't mean necessarily that the student does as well, especially when the changes are quite subtle. So I can't really tell whether I encouraged many of my clients to take more lessons, but most left with contact information for the school, and I passed on my details to some as well.

From a mere business point of view I wonder whether this day in the park deserves the name success - like with any promotional activity there's a delayed response between action and result. But that's just biz thinking. If I ask myself whether it worth spending a day talking to and working with strangers I can only say: yes, yes and yes.

While I was working with charming, yet quite stiff 70 year old, someone observed me in my failing attempts to get him easily into standing. Now it reminds me of the interview I heard on Robert Rickover's podcast, where I think Sandra Bain-Cushion mentions that you sometimes need to unlock the legs to get the primary control working. This very fit fellow had only little movement around his hips, and I didn't manage to connect his head to the sitbones.

However, Jen, who graduated a year before me, encouraged me in doing what didn't seem to work, and after I attempted to explain what happened, the 'silent observer' jumped in. Although Eric had no clue about AT before, he described the blockage of energy he witnessed in terms worthy of an Alexander teacher. He introduced himself as a healer, mainly for emotional energy. We chatted for a while, yet we didn't work together. I get more and more convinced that a healing modality can usefully add to the portfolio of an Alexander teacher.

I got a bit edgy around 4:30pm, half an hour after the official closing time. Yet I felt rather wired than tired, giving half a day of my attention to anyone curious about it. I know I need to 'make money' sooner than later again, yet I learned I need to work to be happy as well, no matter whether money changes hands or not.

I programmed my ego once for modesty, so I might underestimate the ideas my hands left today. So I comment this rather from personal level, not worrying for a moment what I did for others, yet account for my own use.

About two month ago, I broke a metatarsal. About a month ago, after the healing process allowed me using both feet again, I strained my ankle as the lower leg muscles weakened a lot. I started unicycling some few days ago, but there's still pain and swelling around my heel. Today, I could still tell the story that happened to me and my foot, but even during squat demonstrations I didn't feel restricted any more.

No miracles here, enough rest laid the ground work, and getting active helped making my ankle heal. However, staying up most of the day made me forget about the variety of movement strategies that emerged with this handicap. First and foremost I enjoyed being what a want I be, a teacher. We wouldn't survive without curiosity, and anyone stopping at our stall brought some curiosity with them. To direct this instinct towards forward and up poses a challenge, which I happily faced today.

So I'd like to thank all those stepping out of their routine for a moment to inquire about the Alexander Technique. You reminded me to stay connected, and added a bit more meaning to my life. In a way, I got a taste of the right thing happening once I stop doing the wrong things, and I feel grateful for this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment